Thread: Site improvements 101

Question Site improvements 101

This is just a quick thread where you regulars can list things about RD that you'd like improved (go easy!).

The site re-dev is coming along nicely, but obviously if there is something in particular that's an irritation, then please feel free to list it here and we'll look into it.

I'm away that the homepage load speed seems a little slow these days. I'm considering reducing the number of posts on the homepage from 10 to possibly just 5, or maybe 8 or so. Not sure. Feedback on that pls?

Obviously the commenting and users not having their own logins is something that will be featured in the new site launch, so no need to mention that here really.

Anything else though? All constructive criticism encouraged.

Thanks!

About the homepage load-speed, for me it kinda started to go a bit slower when that little RFU highlights box was placed onto the side of the page. Usually most of the page loads, and then I have to wait an extra while until that highlights box starts to play. Now, I only go on RD on my home PC, so this may be purely because of the crappyness of my computer i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if that highlights box makes no difference to computers more modern then mine.

And sometimes when I click the "Submit Reply" button when leaving a comment, it asks me to sign in again, even though I've already signed in before :s maybe this is supposed to happen (I dunno lol) or again, just a personal problem which nobody else experiences..?

But apart from that it's top notch stuff, fair play

Ruck for Fun

Default I cabn't get the videos to load

Since 18/2/2010 I can't get the videos to load. It happens on the homepage and on any seperate post page. Any Ideas?? I am a computer novice so any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Ned2or3 View Post
    Since 18/2/2010 I can't get the videos to load. It happens on the homepage and on any seperate post page. Any Ideas?? I am a computer novice so any help would be appreciated
    Very strange. I'd say that could be something to do with your browser or flash settings. You probably need to reinstall the flash plugin actually.

Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox, and which version of each? Check your security settings in there. Play around, set to default, etc. That should work hopefully.

Just warming up

I don't know if this is the kind if site improvement you are talking about but I didnt see anywhere else that I could write it! so here goes:
    Is there any chance a forum could be created for all the people who like to turn every comment section for the videos on the main site into a SH vs NH slagging match.
    Going by alot of comments i've read in these sections alot of people seem to be getting pretty fed up of it & are getting turned off by it. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'd certainly prefer to be readng some intelligent discussion about the videos posted, rather than the same old "ours is better than yours" petty playground bullsh*t that people come out with everytime a video is posted.
    At least if there was a legitimate forum in place others might be able to point the folks who like to engage in this particular arguement to it. Then they could get their kicks knockin the opposing hemispheres style of rugby here and leave the rest of us to talk about the actual rugby.

Default comments

some mechanism should be implemented that allows people to rate the comments of videos up or down. then comments that have been rated down can be for optional viewing, much like youtube. i think it would reduce spam alot, or at the very least alert you to which comments need removing, as the majority of your viewers are definitely on the mature side and should rate accordingly... thanks

Hi Troika101, thanks for the feedback. The new site has a pretty decent commenting system which will allow for better moderation too. Right now a rating system is in the works, but not complete yet. We won't follow the youtube way though as I'm not mad about it. There will possibly be a simple 'like' method, as in FB.

Anyway, hopefully we'll release it soon.

Just warming up

Hi Greiffel

Have you considered using a system similar to http://www.reddit.com? It uses a "upvote/downvote" system which is miles more effective then youtube.

It is very effective at sorting between useful comments and trolls, and at promoting discussion.

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a clear and obvious link on the frontpage to the IRB page for the laws of the game: http://www.irblaws.com/EN/downloads/ as I have noticed a lot of discussion on the laws of the game in comments which could easily be cleared up. Some users seem incapable of using google and just spout which makes me .

Hi tommiigun,

We've got a bit of a plan for the comment voting actually. We'll hopefully get something up fairly soon, even if it's just a 'upvote', keeping things positive.

Nice idea about the laws, will give it some thought.

Thanks

Comment LIKE-ing on posts is now up. Hoping to improve it shortly but its up for now anyway.