Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rupeni Caucau in for Fiji against Australia

Thumbs up Rupeni Caucau in for Fiji against Australia

With a warning that strike weapon Rupeni Caucaunibuca comes armed with "a GPS to the tryline", Fiji are vowing to ambush Australia in Saturday night's rugby Test in Canberra.

While winger and vice-captain Sireli Bobo is the only survivor from the impressive Fiji team that reached the 2007 Rugby World Cup quarter-finals in France, skipper Deacon Manu insists the Pacific Islanders are in the national capital with only victory on their minds.

"We hope to deliver a performance that we are proud of," Manu said on Thursday.

Central to Fiji's plans is Caucau, formerly one of the world's most destructive wingers who will emerge from four years in the international wilderness to line up at outside centre this weekend.

In recent times, the ex-Auckland Blues sensation has been wowing fans in the France Top 14 competition with Agen, reportedly bagging 13 tries this season from the midfield - where he apparently began his playing career before, as Fiji coach Samuela Domini put it, "he got too fast".

All the softly-spoken 29-year-old would disclose on Thursday was that he was "looking forward" to mixing it with the Wallabies in the hope of landing a contract with an Australian franchise for next season's inaugural Super 15 competition.

The Wallabies suspect that the opportunity to impress Australian talent scouts will provide Caucau with further incentive to wreak havoc at Canberra Stadium.

"We've all seen what he can do and how he can create from nothing, so we're keen to contain him," Wallabies flanker David Pocock said.

It was Bobo who joked that Caucau is blessed with a "GPS to the tryline" when asked what was so special about playing with the 112kg speed merchant.
    Melbourne Rebels here we come

You really think he might turn up at the Rebels? I don't see it; I'm sure Agen are desperate to hold on to him to try and help keep them in the Top 14!

I posted on the visa thread, but I think Fiji are going to get slaughtered. They've only picked three NH players, Caucau, Bobo and Luvniyalli. The latter has barely played all season, having been discovered to be way below standard for Harlequins. If they had played Bai, Ratuvou, Ligari, Rabeni, Nalaga, I would have thought they'd have a chance against a scratch Aussie team, but with the players they have, I don't see it.

Hopefully the game will break up enough for Caucau to deliver afew moments of magic! Fingers crossed!

Exciting player for sure I look forward to seeing him run at Berick Barnes...and or indeed into any gaps that may emerge as his blistering pace is always a pleasure to watch...

Can't see any gaps opening up with the defensive pattern of Oz though...boo!

I said that kinda tongue in cheek, as the Rebels seem to like snapping up players. He did say he wants to get a contract for the Super 15 though, so I'd imagine that's where the opportunity would lie.

He's getting in shape again apparently. He's still only 29 I think? Plenty of rugby left in him yet. Will watch with interest on Saturday

I think he's under contract with Agen for next year. But that would not scare the Rebels.

Fit, it's a big, big word for Caucau.

As Nalaga since his mother joined him in Clermont to cook his favorites meals.
    "It was not medical session that Jonny Wilkinson had passed for us, it was an autopsy." Mourad Boudjellal, Toulon chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lc4TR4Z View Post
    IAs Nalaga since his mother joined him in Clermont to cook his favorites meals.
    Nothing quite like home comforts after all...although knowing how mothers are this is probably more about keeping "the boy" in line...

That's funny about Nalaga. If I were a young guy playing rugby overseas, earning a fortune, I'm not sure I'd want my mother around checking up on what I was doing!

With Caucau though, I suppose even in his prime he was still quite.. stocky. It suited him then though.

I guarantee there will be buying tickets to the game that wouldn't have otherwise.

A really disappointing turnout from Fiji. I think if they'd had their NH players, that game would have been much, MUCH, closer. Caucau never got any room to run, and the whole match was a bit of a mess really.

Still, bearing in mind the vast majority of those Fijian players are amateur, and that their pack only had 12 caps between them (11 of them going to their 8), I thought they played pretty well. I was particularly impressed by their 8 and 15.

Had to work Sat morning so missed this one...spoke to my Aussie mate who said I din't miss much apprently Aus were not very impressive either...49 point still...

Yeah Aus weren't very impressive. I thought the majority of the game was scrappy (from both sides), but Aus managed to put a few pieces of play together in the second half and basically ran through the gaps when the Fijians were too buggered to tackle. The scoreline certainly belies what really happened.

The number 8 from Fiji is a monster! Really big guy. Not too quick, but looked a good player, as Peej said.

Caucau was there, but not there. I think his most significant contribution was squashing Ben Alexander's leg. He's not really that much to blame though as its hard to remember a good backline move that put him into space. Quite disappointing on that front.

After all the moaning though, the Wobblies do have some serious talent in their backs.