Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to watch Rugby in the states?

Just warming up

Default RugbyZone.com down / Replacement site for Germany?

Hi all,

I just found out that RugbyZone.com is no longer operational. And while the service got worse over time, it was still the only site that provided good quality video on demand to watch S15 & TriNations.

Does anyone know a replacement site that has the rights to stream / provide VoD to German customers? I know there are many free live streams around but would much prefer a service similar to RugbyZone.

Thanks heaps in advance for your help,
    Frank

Hi Frank,

Yep, that is indeed the case. I had a look at the website and they've only now changed it to a Supersport page, saying the archive will be available till the end of 2010.. hmm.

The only pay service I know of currently that does something similar is Foxsoccer.tv in the US. You'll need a proxy to access that.
    Setanta has a website that does something similar. Not sure which regions that's available for though.

I'm bumping this because I've had a few emails today from people asking about
    A) Super Rugby
    B) Tri Nations.

Do we have any answers yet, especially about Super Rugby?

Just warming up

i am one of those who was recently inquiring about SANZAR coverage in the US. i formerly subscribed to mediazone and rugbyzone and while the quality was not the best, it was at least pretty reliable.

i have actually spoken on the phone this week with Lauren Ford from foxsoccer (310.444.8230) and she said to me that they "don't have the rights at this time, but things could change" which strikes me as weird, since the Super Rugby season is about to start.

according to Avan Lee at NZRU, "DirecTV has the rights" which is kind of a cryptic statement, since DirecTV doesn't broadcast, they are just the provider. it is possible he means foxsoccerplus, which is only available currently on some providers, inculding DirecTV, Dish, TWC, and Verizion.

i've no response yet from SARU or ARU, but if rugbyzone/supersport had the rights last year but lost them, shouldn't that mean that someone else has them now?

thanks for any help,

Yeah Foxsoccer.tv confirmed to me that they won't have it, and I presume that means their tv stations too.

Supersport hasn't lost the rights - they still show it all on tv, and will even stream the games live on their website (for DSTV/Supersport subscribers only). It seems as though Rugbyzone simply came to an end because it wasn't a viable business for them, for whatever reason.

I found out that Setanta Asia will be showing Super Rugby (and the Six Nations for that matter). They have a pay service so if you know how to use proxies (for Hong Kong), you can signup for $59 for the year, and you should be able to watch it all. For now that seems to be the best (only) bet.

Just warming up

setanta asia sounds like a good option ... does anyone who knows how to setup a proxy to get access to this? has anyone done it yet? if so, please post! it's very frustrating to not be able to watch super rugby this year. i live in the US and watched super 14 last year on rugbyzone and it worked great .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sinay View Post
    setanta asia sounds like a good option ... does anyone who knows how to setup a proxy to get access to this? has anyone done it yet? if so, please post! it's very frustrating to not be able to watch super rugby this year. i live in the US and watched super 14 last year on rugbyzone and it worked great .
    I might create a thread for this, but for now, here's two options. One free, the other not. There's obviously a few methods, but these are easiest imo.

- Using Google Chrome, install an add-on called Switch Proxy
    - Find a proxy for wherever you're after (xroxy.com if you struggle on google)
    - Enter the details in Switch Proxy and flick it on whenever you need it to work

The second method is simply to pay for a proxy service that provides you with an easy proxy switch. Witopia.net are very good.

Once you have the proxy sorted, you can then browse as though you're in another country, which leads to you being able to view Super Rugby, in theory..

Just warming up

So with a proxy thing i can for example register for the Skysports player and watch all the action evan though I'm in Austria?

Just warming up

Default DirecTv?

So from what I can tell Directv (or however they spell it) has gotten into the game. This page and this page both list them as the rights holders. (I realize that superxv.com lists this as an "old list" but they did have Fox Soccer Plus listed with the USA until a few days ago.) As someone else has already stated, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless they are planning to offer it as an add-on package like NFL Sunday Ticket or the Cricket package they offer. Still, two weeks out you would think they would be taking orders if that was the plan. I've contacted Directv, and thus far I've only been told my email was escalated to someone who knows more than their average email response team member. If anyone else has some info that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by xdbx View Post
    So with a proxy thing i can for example register for the Skysports player and watch all the action evan though I'm in Austria?
    In theory yes, although I think you might have to be a registered Sky client in the UK. Not sure exactly how that one works.