Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westerville Worms Rugby Club

Just warming up

Default Westerville Worms Rugby Club

This is a highlight of the Westerville Worms Rugby Club (Westerville, Oh)
    through the years 1995-2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lTungM27k8

Part of the RD family The Mad Mailman's Avatar
    The Land of It's okay. We've stomped the grass into submission. And by submission I mean into dirt.

Think a couple of those hits might be able to find their way into TSRB 12...

Just warming up

whats TSRB 12

The Land of It's okay. We've stomped the grass into submission. And by submission I mean into dirt.

TSRB stands for Try Savers and Rib Breakers, a compilation done by RugbyDump comprised of big hits, big tackles, trysavers, and the like.

The 11th installment debuted recently and talk of a 12th began almost as soon.

Just warming up

that would be cool. mostly because all these kids are in high school with these hits.

Very cool. I love the intro.

Any chance of seeing a longer clip of that bit where the flanker bursts through the set move and smashes about three other players (then pukes or whatever)?

Great to see this. USA rugby is making unbelievable strides. Would love to hear from someone (djbcb1 probably) what it's actually like being part of that team, playing rugby in a country where it's such a small sport? Do you find yourself constantly having to explain to people what rugby is or is it actually bigger than we realise?

, cool vid

I play college rugby here in the USA, in New England specifically, and I'd say the game is stronger than most people think, but is still very much 'underground.'

Rugby is certainly not yet part of the 'mainstream' American idea of sports, but it's growing and almost everybody has at least a passing understanding of what rugby is, although they often understand little about how its played or exactly what one does in the execution of rugby.

That aside, we ruggers here have a special bond. Almost everyone has played football or baseball, or any other sport at sometime or another, but to play rugby means you're something else, something special. It's like being part of a special club, apart from what everyone else understands. You'll meet someone, and you'll have that connection that other sports don't have. We will eventually have to sacrifice that for the growth of our game, but for now it's an integral and one of the most enjoyable parts about being an American Rugger.

That's cool, I thought you were in Canada actually for some reason..

Now, next task, how do we stop American rugby players calling themselves 'Ruggers'?! Serious pet hate of mine. Not sure where it came from but it needs to stop.. now!

Good luck with that one!

We take the 'Ruggers' tag relatively seriously. You might as well be asking us to change the colors of the flag, or vote communist, or, horror of horrors, play league.

My club sold t-shirts to help raise money, they're gold-colored and say 'SUPPORT OUR RUGGERS' in big blue letters. The local (nay, regional!) rugby 'kit and sh*t' supplier is an establishment called 'Ruggers,' run by Vic, head coach of the Springfield Rifles RFC. (Although, the place is kind of hood and half the word has fallen off, so people walk past are probably wondering just what the hell a store called "GERS" sells...)

We're quite attached to the phare around here. Like how the Welsh are attached to leeks and ridiculous hats, how the Scottish are attached to not scoring tries, how the English are attached to releasing a new kit every year that looks pretty much the same as the last one did, how the Irish are attached Brian O'Driscoll even though he's from Dublin, how the French are attached to putting their fingers in other peoples' eyeballs, how the Australians are attached to burglary, and how the New Zealanders are attached to the rears of sheep now that Sonny Bill is back from France and stealing all of the few women remaining on that strange land infested with penguins or kiwis or pigmi-emus or whatever those bizarre flightless little creatures are called...

(Moreover, I am very much NOT Canadian. My food pyramid consists of more than frozen moose-jerky, snow, and skunky Molson beer. I have paved roads. There is a mail service here, not just a penguin you duct tape your message to and hope it wanders off in direction of the right person. And my National side scored an RWC Try-of-the-Tournament against South Africa rather than just starting a gigantic brawl like a bunch of wannabe French Pro D2 players! Canada: America's Hat.)

Just warming up

whenever i tell people about the game i have to tell them what it is. what positions are there and how it relates to football. the video you watched was a collaboration of our highlight tapes so idk if i can get that whole penalty play series. but back to our play. we get no respect in the state of ohio and we beat every victim by 70 or more and we don't allow trys to be scored on us. we have won states 14 straight years and have been national runner up 3 times. you would think with those states people would no who we are. but thats just how little rugby is here. i play for Ohio State University and we have to pay for everything because the school wont fund our team.

i hope it get bigger and soon